Sunday, April 8, 2012

Stillman Pond

We went to sacrament meeting this morning in Nauvoo. We thought it started at 9:30, but it really started at 10:00. With the one hour time difference, it was kind of cool to be at church knowing that my family was doing the exact same thing. I watched the boys pass the sacrament and kept thinking, "Stockton is passing the sacrament right now."

We went to Carthage Jail this morning. We started at the Mansion House where Joseph said good-bye to his family. Then the bus when the same route that Joseph and Hyrum took to get there. This painting was hanging in the Carthage visitor center. The beautiful temple was not finished when they left.
This painting is also in the Carthage visitor center. It is a little more violent than the one above.
It is interesting that the jailor gave Joseph and his companions his living quarters. That is why there was no bars on the window Joseph fell out of. Too bad more people didn't have the jailers compassion towards Joseph back then.
The mob rushed up these stairs.
This is the original door of the jail.
The bullet hole is from the bullet that killed Hyrum.
This is where the window was that Joseph fell out of.
Dad below the window Joseph fell from.
Stephanie and Dad
After Carthage we had about a half hour of free time. I was feeling guilty that I didn't look up and see if Mike had any Nauvoo relatives. I did know one name: Stillman Pond. Stillman Pond is Mike's great-great-great grandpa. Mike Smith -> Sharen Hirschi -> Winona Buxton -> Stillman Buxton -> Mary Anner Pond -> Stillman Pond. During my free time I dragged my dad to the Lands and Records Office to see if they knew where he lived. They were able to find it! He had 1/4 acre. His was plot 106, lot 4 the east 1/2 of the west 1/2. A little confusing, but they were able to help me figure it out. It was only two blocks from the records office, so my dad and I ran down there.
Stillman Pond's Property
Tiny Stephanie
Stephanie
My dad really wanted to go in Heber C. Kimball's home. We didn't make it inside, but we discovered that Stillman Pond lived really, really close to him! There is nothing where his house use to be, but it is in between Heber C. Kimball's home and a home where missionaries are living. Right now Brother and Sister Bird are living there.
Heber C. Kimball's house
We walked down the Trail of Tears or the Trail of Hope. I took pictures of all the plaques. I'm going to put them up on a different day. It's a lot of pictures, but I they are interesting to me. We ended up by the Mississippi River, right where the saints left to start their journey west.
Wagon on a "boat"
Mississippi River
I took a picture of the Jensens. Arlene has been diagnosed with ovarian cancer. She has been through chemo and her cancer is in remission, but they have only given her a 15% chance to live. During chemo she talked about going to Nauvoo if she ever got the strength. They took this trip with another couple while she is relatively healthy. I sure hope she is part of the 15%. Someone has got to be.
Paul and Arlene Jensen
Stephanie and the Mississippi
This is a statue of Joseph Smith showing Brigham Young where to go.
There is also a monument to all the pioneers who lost their life along the way. Well, all that they know about. There is a spot where they have added some names.
I recognize that name.
Look how many Smiths!
Luckily none of them have any of our names!
We have now left Nauvoo and are in Iowa. We had dinner in Garden Grove. The Iowa Mormon Trails Association provided it. They are not mormon. They were wonderful and the food was delicious. I would ask my dad for more details, but he is snoring like crazy right now!

4 comments:

Traci said...

Love all the pictures and info! :) It's been fun reading about it! At night I am trying to count my contractions and it's fun to have something to read that is so interesting :) Anyway! I'm glad you are having such a great trip! :)

Stephanie said...

Traci that is so nice! Good luck with your little girl. I was really hoping it would come on the 6th. I thought you would love that birthday. Then I thought you would love having your girl born on Easter . . . hopefully she is here safe and soon!

Anonymous said...

Hi Stephanie
My Grandfather is Heber Stillman Pond.
Can you clarify which Stillman Pond is your Grandfather?
Roanne Pond Grasso

Holly said...

Hi Stephanie!!
I am also descended through Stillman Pond and the Buxtons. However, my 3x great grandfather is John Alfred Buxton. Oldest child of John and Mary Anner Buxton. His daughter, Alice LaPreal Buxton is my great grandma, my grandpa being Albert Leon Webb.
It was really nice to see your pictures!
I have started a blog of my own. I am working to visit all of the grave sites of my ancestors that is with in driving distance. I then blogging about the experience and including their personal histories. Stillman and Abigail are buried only about 10 minutes away from me, in Richmond Utah. It has been so fascinating to learn about their lives.
I hope you do not mind, but I would like to link back to your site and the pictures.