Thursday, April 5, 2012

Adam-Ondi-Ahman

Our first stop today was Far West. I'm glad Mike talked me into bringing my new coat, because it was windy and chilly. I was glad to have my coat.
Far West
My second and last part of this trip was to tell about the departure of the twelve. Joseph Smith had prophesied that the twelve would leave on their missions from the temple site in Far West. He also mentioned the day. Before that day came the extermination order had been issued. The mobs were aware of this prophecy and were eagerly awaiting it. Brigham Young had a very determined personality and he refused to let the mobs win. A group (including five apostles) snuck into Missouri using different routs. They met at the cornerstone of the temple at one in the morning. Brigham Young said, "We are here in direct fulfillment of the Lord's commandments. One of those commandments was that we should here assemble. Today is April twenty-sixth, and let it now be noted that we are here as directed."
Stephanie touching the cornerstone
Next we went to Adam-Ondi-Ahman. That is a pretty peaceful place. Amazing to imagine the events that will happen there. That would be cool to witness!
Adam-Ondi-Ahman
Dad
Stephanie
We then drove across Missouri and stopped at Hannibal. Too bad the town shuts down at 5. We got there about 5:30. It was still pretty cool though.
Becky Thatcher's House
Law Office
The Fence
Tom Sawyer and Huckleberry Finn
We are sleeping in Quincy, Illinois tonight. Before bed we went to one of the spots where Lincoln and Douglas held one of their debates.
Dad - Sorry I cut off your head Lincoln
Stephanie - my dad is sorry too
That's it for today. I spent forever trying to get the Internet to work. Good thing computers fear Mike even through the phone. My kids made it through today! This was the last really long day for them. Mike goes on call tomorrow, so he will be home during the day for the rest of my trip. That makes me feel better. Although every time I called the kids today they seemed to be laughing hysterically. They were making Multi-Media Fusion games and cracking up about them . . . apparently Stockton's game was really funny.

1 comment:

Oregon Millburns said...

Love the new coat! Looks like you're having a fun trip!