Wednesday, March 14, 2012

PI!

Wednesdays are our crazy day. We couldn't celebrate pi day properly, but we did manage to have pizza (pie) for dinner and chocolate pie for dessert.
Stockton
Notice how the oranges counteract the delicious goodness below?
Preston
Stockton & Preston
Tomorrow book club is at my house. I'm not sure if I need to lead the discussion or anything, but I wanted to be prepared. We are reading Out of My Mind. The book Maysen gave me and I totally love. Anyway, I was looking at random questions about the book when I started browsing Sharon Draper's website. I thought, I should tell her how much my family enjoyed her book. I have never written to an author before, but I decided to anyway. This was my e-mail.

Ms. Draper,

My 8th grade daughter asked me to read Out of My Mind. I am so grateful she did because I loved it! I then gave the book to my 6th grade son to read. He hates reading but needs to do a small book report each week. He is asked to rate the books from 1 to 10 as part of his reports. Stockton usually rates his books between 2-3. Imagine my surprise when he gave your book a 10 out of 10. Wow. Thank you for writing. Our family has sure enjoyed it.

Thanks,

Stephanie Smith

Well . . . she wrote back! Today! The same day I sent the e-mail. I couldn't believe it. When I opened the mail, I was sure it was going to be a form letter, but it wasn't. Here is her reply:

Dear Ms. Smith,
Your letter made me smile! :-)
Tell Stockton I said hello, and tell your daughter I said thanks!
All the best--Sharon Draper

ps--Tell him to try the books of Mike Lupica and Matt Christopher. Great for boys--lots of sports stories. Also--No More Dead Dogs by Gordon Korman.

Now that was COOL! Her e-mail made me smile!

No comments: