Saturday, March 3, 2012

I-A-M-B-I-S-T

Stockton's Regional Spelling Bee was today. I was so nervous for him. My legs were shaking almost the entire four hours! I couldn't get them to stop! I knew he was prepared, but all it takes is one word . . .

Stockton was contestant 11. Contestant 12 ended up winning. Her name is Vismaya Kharkar. She also won last year. This will be her second time competing in Washington D.C. - lucky! She was really nice, as was her family.

Anyway, here is a run down of his competition.

Round 1. 79 contestants. Stockton's word: interrupt
Round 2. 47 contestants. Stockton's word: quell
Round 3. 38 contestants. Stockton's word: nemesis - haha!
Round 4. 28 contestants. Stockton's word: zucchini
Round 5. 20 contestants. Stockton's word: punctilio
Round 6. 15 contestants. Stockton's word: comandante
Round 7. 11 contestants. Stockton's word: fantoccini
Round 8. 9 contestants. Stockton's word: melange - thank goodness he asked for alternate pronunciations! The second pronunciation was easier. The first sounded like melaj. Silent letters can be annoying! Thankfully he answered correctly.
Round 9. Final 9 contestants. Stockton is now first.
Round 9. 4 contestants left. Stockton's word: iambist. He spelled it iambyst. He said he was trying to decide between y, i, or e. He decided to go with y when they said it was from Greek.

Vismaya's word was ebola. She got it right. Stockton knew that one as well. Girl #14 spelled her word lenative and girl #22 spelled hers moritorium. Vismaya was the only one left. She needed to spell her next word right, or the others were back in. Her word was aberrant. She did it perfectly. Hopefully she'll do great in Washington. We would love to watch her on TV!
Final Four
Stockton's teacher Mrs. Marre came!
Mike and Stockton
Mike, Stockton, Stephanie
My dad watched Preston during the bee. Maysen and Jorja came. I also texted my brothers (except Brett), my dad, Shannon and Teresa during the bee . . . . giving them a play-by-play. Hope I didn't annoy them. Today was really exciting and pretty exhausting. To celebrate, we picked up Little Caesars on the way home. Stockton's choice. Stockton said, "I'm as happy as if I had won the bee, and now I don't have to study!" What a good little attitude. I am so proud of him. I love being his mom! (On a side note, spell check is funny. It tells me several of Stockton's words are spelled wrong. Haha!)

5 comments:

Brett - Rachel B said...

Yay! Stockton you are one smart cookie!

Erica Eliza said...

You don't have a picture of that Vismaya girl, do you? I remember meeting a girl named Vismaya at the state geography bee two years ago. She was one of the finalists. She missed a question about India-where her parents are fun-because the lady pronounced it wrong.

Stephanie said...

In the picture of the final four, Vismaya is #12.

Sandeep said...

Thank you about your kind words about Vismaya. Stockton did a great job too and I am sure he will be back.

@Eliza: You are correct, Vismaya was in the State Geo Bee two years ago. She will be there this year too.

Anne Flores said...

I am a former speller, and I say congratulations to Vismaya and Stockton! Vismaya was amazing at the Bee since 2009, but I was glad she finally made it to nationals in 2011 and this year. Do you remember what Vismaya's winning word was? I'd like to know, because I missed watching the Salt Lake Valley Spelling Bee this year. Thanks!