Monday, February 27, 2012

My Mom's Testimony

I cannot remember when I did not have a testimony, at least in a small measure, of the Gospel of Jesus Christ. At first I believed because my parents believed—and I believed everything my parents told me. I found it easy to believe in a loving Father and Mother in Heaven because I had a loving father and mother on earth.


Slowly I gained my own testimony and no longer had to rely on my parents. (Although I must admit that even to this day their unwavering faith is still a strength to my testimony.)


There have been several experiences that have strengthened my testimony. I will mention two.


Before I met my husband, Ron, I was engaged to another young man. One night as I was praying for confirmation of being engaged, I felt such a feeling of emptiness that I broke the engagement the very next day. I know that that was an answer to my prayers.


Another experience that strengthened my testimony was when my mother was sick with cancer. She had just had a series of operations and was still very weak when scar tissue caused an obstruction in her intestines. She was in so much pain that she was admitted to the hospital Saturday night and was going to have to have another operation Monday to clear up the problem. We didn't see how she could survive another operation at this time.


That Sunday our entire ward held a special fast for my mom. It was so heart warming to see many of the deacons stand and say they had never fasted before, but they were fasting that day for Sister Parry. (She had been the Blazer teacher for many years.) That Monday the operation was canceled—there was no need.


I do have a testimony of the Gospel. I know that Jesus is our Savior, that Joseph Smith was a prophet, and that President Kimball is a prophet today. I also know that this testimony will grow stronger or weaker everyday depending on my willingness to obey the commandments of God.


Harriett Millburn

Crescent 5th

(around 1980)

(Thanks to Kathy Leatherwood for e-mailing me this today. I love it!)

1 comment:

Jordyn Parry said...

That's sweet, thanks for sharing it!