Sunday, February 12, 2012

Ask a General Authority

We had a really cool fireside today. Elder David F. Evans came to Becky's house and the youth were able to ask him any questions they might have. (Elder Evans is Becky's dad) Right now he is the executive director of the missionary department. I really enjoyed tonight. I loved hearing the youths questions and listening to their answers. When Elder Evans was asked about technology in the mission field he said that it's kind of tricky because there is always the problem of people abusing technology, but that missions will incorporate technology more and more. Then he said that Elder Perry is really pushing technology and says things like, 'just because a store sells beer doesn't mean the missionaries can't go in to buy milk and bread.' I like that.

Elder Evans talked about sitting with Elder Holland as he decided on mission calls a few Saturdays ago. That would be an incredible thing to watch.

One girl asked how she could best support her brother on his mission. He said, "Just be a good girl." He went on to explain that that is the biggest help he could have, to not worry about his family at home. When he found out the girl asking the question was 14, he said, "You have just finished the easy part of your life to be good. From now on it gets harder." Or something like that. Maysen is now 14. Yikes.

Stockton asked why boys had to serve longer than girls. I liked his answer. He said that it doesn't say anywhere in the scriptures the ages and how long someone should serve, so it was just decided. He mentioned other factors that went into that decision, and also mentioned that it could change one day. I like that the answer was simple. Because that is what was decided upon.

I wish I had a better memory. There were many thoughts I had during the meeting. I guess I should have brought something to write with. And my scriptures. Oops.

The meeting did go a little long. The kids were starting to get restless and fidgety. I am glad Maysen and Stockton went. My niece Erica was there as well. I hope they were able to feel the spirit as they were taught by a representative of the Lord. What an amazing opportunity.

No comments: