Wednesday, January 25, 2012

A-L-I-B-I

Stockton WON his school spelling bee! Talk about nerve-wracking! The bee lasted for about two hours. I am so upset that I remembered to bring my awesome camera, but when Mike went to take a picture he realized there was no camera card in there. Maysen said, "That sounds familiar." Haha. She's right. I always forget the camera card for important events. Stockton had the best facial expressions, I wish I could post a collage of them. At least I had my cell phone, but dang it!

Mike did get this awesome picture below. I love it! Stockton was in shock after it was over. The emotions he went through were crazy! His eyes were all watery and he said, "It feels like I'm going to cry." Stockton loves spelling bees, so to be able to win today was just awesome. I will recap below why his emotions were on a roller coaster ride.
Stephanie and Stockton
The beginning of the bee. Things were fine and dandy for Stockton. His words were: bristle, audience, pristine, syringe, systematic, facade and reminiscent.
When there were about eight students left, they had run out of words. The words they had given the students to practice that is. When they go off the list is when things get scary! Then it's anyone's game. I like to tell Stockton that spelling bees are 33% knowledge, 33% preparation and 34% luck. Stockton's word at this point was orthodontist.
After that round, there were only four students left. This is when things got crazy! In an effort to hurry things along, they decided to give the students crazy words. Stockton's word was exonerate. He spelled it with two n's. Oh man! I was in the very back but was able to mouth the words, "It's okay." He mouthed back, "I know." Still very disappointing. EXCEPT that this round, all four kids spelled their words wrong, so all four kids were back in the contest.

Stockton's next word was virulent. He spelled it wrong. He was out. Everyone spelled their words wrong. He was back in. His next word was perquisite. This one he spelled perfectly! Except he didn't put the last e on there! I couldn't believe it! He is out! Everyone spelled their words wrong. He is back in. The next round boy #1 spelled his word correctly. Pressure! Stockton's word was dromedary. He spelled it wrong. Oh no, he lost. Dang it! Especially frustrating because he knew how to spell the other words. Girl #1 spelled her word wrong. Boy #3 spelled his word wrong. In order for boy #1 to win, he has to spell another word. The spelling bee can't end on a misspelled word. Boy #1 spells the word wrong! The other three are back in!

At this point, the judges decide to go to words that are "really hard" instead of "crazy hard". Stockton's word was acquaintance. When they said this word, he had a huge giant grin on his face. It was so cute! At the end of this round, boy #3 spelled his word wrong, so now there is only three.
Stockton was so lucky in this round! His word was mosaic! He breezed through that word. The other two spelled their words wrong. One word to go! If he spells this word wrong, the other two are back in. His word was alibi. The judges barely got the word out of their mouth before Stockton really loud and really fast said, "A-L-I-B-I". The judge said, "Are you sure? Do you want to think about it?" Stockton said, "No! A-L-I-B-I". Meanwhile I can't even look at him because I was sure he spelled it wrong! I was so sad for him! Haha. What a speller I am! Stockton said that as soon as he heard the word alibi, he instantly thought, "I just won the spelling bee!" Then he made sure he didn't make a silly mistake. I thought it was funny that all those things went through his head, because he sure answered instantaneously!
When they announced that he was right and had won, everyone started cheering for him. He walked around in a daze. It was amazing. You could tell a lot of kids were rooting for him. I think his awesome facial expressions had a lot to do with it. He would put his hands in his hair and stick it up with this completely nervous expression on his face. Man, I'm kicking myself for not bringing my camera card!

That poor kid thought he lost, then he is back in, then he lost, then he is back in, then he lost, then he is back in, then he really lost, then he is back in, then he might win, then he won! I am so glad it ended up this way. What a crazy, crazy spelling bee!
Stockton getting his trophy from the principal
Jorja, Stockton, Stephanie
This is sure to be a day that Stockton will never ever forget.

1 comment:

Chad said...

Congrats! G-E-N-I-U-S.