Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Home from Israel

This afternoon I picked my dad up from Israel. He was asked to go as a tour guide, so he was able to go for free. He went there 21 years ago with my mom. I remember we stayed with Grandma & Grandpa Parry while they were gone . . . and I'm pretty sure Mike turned 1 while they were there. Anyway, my dad had the best time. When I asked him if he had fun he said, "Fun doesn't even begin to describe it." Pretty cool. Preston and I met him in the baggage claim area. Preston wanted to surprise him, so we were hiding behind something. When I pointed to my dad, Preston ran out to give him a hug. But he went to the wrong grandpa! Haha! Preston stopped short and was all confused. My dad was wearing a jacket he didn't recognize, so it took him a bit to find him. Preston was excited for him to come home. He has asked me many times, "When is grandpa going to play with me again?" My dad watches Preston every Wednesday for me while I volunteer in Jorja's class. Preston LOVES it! Anyway, when the other people waiting for their luggage found out I was Ron's daughter they would say things like, "Your dad is amazing." "Best tour guide ever." "He was wonderful." Sounds like he will get another free trip to Israel in the future. Also, for those curious . . . my dad broke his camera on this trip. If you are keeping score, the last three tours he has done he has either lost or broken a camera. Nice to keep traditions.

As soon as all the kids were home from school we went to pick up Mike from work. We stopped at the store and picked out a balloon and a poinsettia. We then took them to Grandma Honey's grave. She died six years ago today. Really wish that didn't happen. I wish both grandma's could be here with their grandchildren (and me). I love watching new grandmas excited about their adorable grandbabies. At the same time it is kind of sad because I realize my children never got to be adored like that. I just keep telling myself they were handpicked. My mom sent me the very best . . . that is why they are so amazing.
Preston, Maysen, Jorja, Stockton
Maysen and I served dinner at a homeless shelter with the youth in our ward tonight. The girls had prepared the dinner and did a fantastic job. When we walked into this giant warehouse like building we saw the entire thing covered with beds. I don't know what I expected, but I didn't expect that. The girls had a really good time. Many of them commented on the ages of the children. They asked if they went to school. I think it blew their minds that normal people have giant trials at such a young age.

3 comments:

brett said...

Steph, I would just have to say that I believe Grandma Millburn watched us while they were at Israel. She stayed at our house. This is how I remember it. I would ask Dad or Bubs to verify, but we know they don't remember anything.

Stephanie said...

I bet both of them watched us. I know we were at Grandma Parry's at the end of the trip.

The Bubs said...

Grandma Millburn watched us for the first week and a half, Grandma Parry for the last week and a half, and that's the truth.