Saturday, September 3, 2011

Foam Race

The reason Mike and I made the trip to Idaho Falls this weekend was to run the 5K Foam Race with my cousins. I haven't run at all since college when I needed to run for PE class. I started running a bit everyday a couple of months ago, but I never ran more than two miles without stopping. I am glad I prepared myself that little bit because this race was hard! For me anyway. We were running at the sand dunes . . . that is tons harder than concrete. It was a lot of fun. My grandma and grandpa came to watch. Along with Mark & Jackie, Brooke & Courtney, Jake & Riley, Steve & Sharon, Glade & Diane, Devin, Chad & Eden.... that is who I can think of off the top of my head. Courtney was awesome enough to take pictures of us during the race. We brought our waterproof camera, so the pictures aren't the best quality, but I was excited that I had something to show the kids.
Before: Jana, Paul, Heather, Justin, Lisa,
Jordyn, Jordyn's friend (I think Lindsey), Stephanie, Mike,
Lauren, Lauren's friend
GO!
This race was, of course, nothing to Paul. He was first until he tripped in the swimming pool a few feet in front of the finish line....he then was second.
Paul
Jana
You needed to be fourteen or older to run. Andrew wanted to run, so when the race started he just started running with his mom and dad. No one stopped him. I'm glad about that. I wish I would have tried it with Stockton, except I don't think he would have liked it too well.....until the end when you get to run through all the fun stuff. There was a kids race that was one mile long. I wish I had known about that. I would have had my kids run it for sure!
Justin, Andrew, Lisa
I did pretty well until we reached the climbing walls. There were four walls to go over. Two smaller ones and two really tall ones. I was at the top of the last wall when Heather and Jordyn just ran around it. They shouted, "Good job Steph!" That was when I realized I wasn't very smart. I should have skipped the last two because the tall ones really wore me out!
Stephanie & Mike
The hardest part of the entire race was running through the mud. I could barely move through it. It was much easier when we were able to crawl. My shoes felt like they had concrete on them for the rest of the race, and I had to run the last half holding up my pants.
Mike
Stephanie
Mike
Stephanie, Heather & Jordyn....I'm pretty sure...
Stephanie & Mike
If you notice in the picture below, I am now holding a pocket knife. I found it when I was crawling through the mud. I was so proud. If you also notice, Jordyn is reacting to Mike putting mud in her hair. She tried to push Mike in the mud, but missed him and knocked me over. I lost the pocket knife. Shortest possession ever.
Heather, Lindsey, Jordyn, Stephanie, Mike
Stephanie....looking for the knife.
I did crawl around for awhile, but no luck.
Andrew
Jordyn
Mike and I - I couldn't see for quite awhile!
Mike
Stephanie & Mike
Mike & Stephanie! We made it!
Paul, Jana, Steph, Mike, Lisa, Justin
Heather, Lindsey, Jordyn
Lauren's friend, Lauren, Andrew
Thanks Paul for letting everyone know about this. I had a great time. If I ever run it again, I am going to have Mike bring the portable shower. Washing off in the sprinklers after was the worst part of the race!

Mike and I took a quick shower at grandma's and hit the road. We got home around 4. I'm pretty sure my dad spoiled the kids. They loved it. He made them milkshakes last night and again after lunch. Jorja talked him into it. He said he would if they ate something healthy first. Jorja and Preston each ate a raspberry, Maysen at a piece of bread, and Stockton ate a carrot. That sounds just like my kids. They also played Dominion again and my dad won. Maysen and my dad tied, but Maysen went first so the victory went to my dad. Mike changed the sign to proclaim my dad's victory while we were still at my grandma's house.

I gained possession of the trophy. My dad wasn't here to defend it. So sad. It didn't last long though, the trophy is now shouting the praises of Lord Elsinore (Mike).

I'm about exhausted now. Living in Utah is awesome.

No comments: