Saturday, July 23, 2011

Running the River Wild

We woke up bright and early this morning to go river rafting! Our first stop was at Steve & Sharon's cabin where they fed us breakfast. Stuffed french toast. Seriously, they take us down the river and feed us breakfast? Pretty great deal we have going there. Next Steve went to drop off the raft while Sharon got us suited up. Stockton and I were both able to have a wet suit, which I have fallen in love with. We then met Steve at Sheep Gulch. Steve, who is extra friendly, had a passenger with him for us to bring up to the launching point. This passenger was very drunk. He reeked of alcohol at eight in the morning. Oh boy. Luckily he didn't vomit in our car and we all emerged safely.

The river was great. Sharon mentioned that novice paddlers always look at their paddle instead of enjoying the scenery. I always do that! I tried hard not to this time. Mike also found my camera this morning. It was with our swimming suits. Mike had put the bag in the closet. No one ever opens the closet in the downstairs room, so it didn't even dawn on me to look in there. In his defense, he did show me where he was putting it. I remember that now. My memory sure isn't what is use to be.

I tried to snap a few pictures as we were floating down the river. I snapped the camera onto my life jacket. I tried to get a video once, but failed miserably. Maybe next year. The river was running at 17,000. Steve and Sharon usually run us at 6,000. We ran the river in a little over an hour. Stockton was able to run. Maysen stayed at the cabin and watched the little ones. Hopefully she'll want to go next year, but it was really nice to have her so all the adults could go . . . especially since we were only doing one run this year.
Beautiful Snake River
Stockton
Stephanie
Dad, Bubs, Stockton, Mike
Steve
Stockton, Mike & the landslide on the right
Mike saying a quick prayer before the rapids.
Sharon's not worried at all.
Wolf Creek
Oh boy
Bubs & Mike tightening Stockton's sleeves
Here we go!
Mike and Sharon's elbow
Dig!
Thank you Snake River! See you next year!
After rafting, we cleaned and packed up the cabin and headed to the Triple R Ranch, after stopping for square ice cream of course. This is my mom's Uncle George's cabin. Preston spent almost the entire time on the zip line . . . which means I spent the entire time on the zip line. Preston was scared to go by himself, so I went with him twice. The next time he wanted to crash into the pole. I explained that I would never make it that far. If he wanted to make it to the pole he would have to go by himself. He did. He looked scared to death, but he made it to the pole. He was so happy! After that he didn't need me anymore. By the time the day was done he was an expert. Too bad I had lost my camera so I couldn't take any pictures. I was worried I left it at Steve & Sharon's cabin. My cousin Justin took a picture of Preston's first ride. Hopefully I'll be able to snag that picture as well.

We then went to my grandma & grandpa's house. Mike found my camera. He had put it in the seat pocket behind the drivers seat. I was very relieved that despite my best efforts I hadn't lost the camera. I tried to take a picture of Jorja picking raspberries with grandpa, but it was dark. The pictures didn't turn out great. Picking raspberries with grandpa is one of Jorja's favorite memories.
Grandpa & Jorja
My cousin Tammi came over and talked with me for awhile. That was so nice. I didn't get a chance to talk to anyone at the reunion since I spent the entire time on the zip line. Oh well. My baby won't be little for very much longer. I know I'm going to miss having him want me around all the time. I'll just enjoy it while I can.

No comments: