Thursday, June 16, 2011

Don't Panic

First, we were e-mailed the results from the swim meet yesterday. Jorja placed 5th (out of 10) in the backstroke with 31.33! That was her best! She also placed 9th (out of 12) in 25 m freestyle with 34.97 and 3rd (out of 4) in the 50 m freestyle with 1:22.02. She did two relays. The first was a medley and she did the backstroke but her team got disqualified. Not because of her! Yay! Swimmer #2 hands were brought beyond the hipline during stroke. (I'm not sure what that means, but I get it is bad.....the swimmer is only 7.) Her second relay they placed 2nd (out of 3) with 2:30.81. Jorja was the first swimmer and did really well. She hit the wall about the same time as the first place team. The second swimmer was a cute little six year old. She kind of got behind, but seriously SIX years old! I think that is quite cool.

Stockton scored a 106.10 at his diving meet. He is excited because he will most likely be able to go to district. You need to compete in three meets - done. The coach can only take three divers from each division. He is going to take those with the highest scores. Stockton has placed first in all three meets, so I'm pretty sure he will make it.

Jordyn asked a question about Tyki. (I discovered how he spells his name.) I'm not sure how old he is, but he was competing in the 15-17 year old category. He also got disqualified for his super slow race. It said DQ delay of meet - misc. Still makes me laugh. I was laughing when I was looking at the results posted at the pool. A 10 year old girl heard me talking to Jorja about it. She said, "I was so mad! That was so rude!" I just laughed and said, "I thought it was pretty funny and was very glad it wasn't my kid."

Tonight we played in the pool! It was so warm! Mike's pool cleaning robot broke and he has to send it in to be fixed. As a result our pool isn't as clean as usual. Man that robot does a great job. Preston, Jorja, Mike and I played. Preston is completely crazy now. He absolutely loves the pool. He is getting better at swimming, but has a LONG way to go. I was talking to him about how he shouldn't panic if he was in trouble in the water. He needs to kick until he is at the surface or the side, but don't panic. Preston then went over to the diving board where I was going to catch him, but he slipped and went off the side of the board. I dove for him so fast, but it was just a bit until I could get there. Preston did great. When I got to him he said, "Mom, I didn't panic." Seriously this was thirty seconds after our talk. Preston enjoyed swimming from Mike to me and back again. He did that for a long time. He would say, "I'm done now, no one more time" over and over. Preston thinks his goggles are magic and make him swim. I loved sitting on the bottom of the pool and watching him dive down to me. Pretty fun life we have if I do say so myself.

2 comments:

Jordyn Parry said...

ok that age sounds about right, I was picturing a 9 year old and wanted to double check :) sad they disqualified him, and even worse about the poor 7 year old! Swimming is tougher than I thought!

Stephanie said...

They only disqualified him for that one event, so I'm sure he was fine. Still makes me laugh. The worst is when you get disqualified for a relay, they post which swimmer made the mistake. That's embarrassing!