Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Chinese Celebration

Jorja and I went to a Chinese celebration put on by her school. They had some young men do a lion dance. My pictures aren't the best, but you can get the idea. The weird looking guy in the picture below would go before the lion/dragon thingy. They went right by us. Jorja buried her head in my chest as he walked by. He noticed and put his crazy looking head right next to Jorja. She pushed him away. It was pretty funny.

As the dragon/lion was making its way around the room, Jorja and I noticed there was a head of lettuce on the floor. When the dragon got back to the beginning - and to the lettuce, it started chomping on it. Soon lettuce bits were being thrown all over the audience.

Speaking of lettuce, they had Chinese food to eat before the program. I had a lettuce wrap for the first time and found it extremely delicious.

The first graders put on a program half in Chinese and half in English. It was really cute. After there was a question and answer period with a panel about the program. Only a handful of people stayed for that. I stayed hoping I would learn a little more about this program. One of the interesting things I learned was, in our district there are 3 Chinese Immersion schools, 2 French Immersion schools and 3 Spanish Immersion schools. Wow. Alta View, the school I went to when I was growing up is Spanish Immersion. Too bad they didn't have that when I went there. I'm horrible at languages, but who knows, maybe if I started in first grade it would be a different story. The panel said learning a new language is as natural to these kids as learning how to walk....but when I look at Jorja's Chinese homework I have my doubts.

Today was my mom and dad's wedding anniversary. I think it is 42 years. Wish she could be here to celebrate. My dad and Mike stayed up until 1:00 last night working on our house. They are building a wall in the boys room. Actually closing up an extra entrance to the room and turning it into a closet. They are also moving the door to the theater room. Mike slept over at the new house because it was snowing. He had the van and knew there would be no way to make it up his driveway. Right now, Mike and my dad are both working on those projects again. Mike has never drywalled before and my dad has. Thank you so much for the help Dad! And Happy Anniversary....what a way to spend it! Oh, and thank you Dad for watching Preston so I could go to the Chinese celebration with Jorja. He talked about the trains you guys made for quite awhile.

No comments: