Monday, October 11, 2010

Baptism Date

We have been trying to figure out when Jorja will be baptized. Her birthday is October 26. When we were in Georgia, we were going to do it on Halloween. Nice that it is on a Sunday. Now that we are in Utah, they won't let us choose our date. We have to do it with the Stake. The bummer is, Jorja will be baptized with people she doesn't know and people she will never see again. The wards in the stake rotate who is in charge of the program, so Jorja won't know any of the speakers. I have to say, Georgia baptisms are definitely the way to go. I guess I don't like letting go of control.

Anyway, the stake baptism day is the same weekend that my brother is blessing his baby in Ohio. We were hoping we could talk them into letting us do it on a different day, but no, they wouldn't budge. I asked Jorja about moving her baptism until December. She cried and cried. She said, "I already had to move it off Halloween, I'll move it to a different day in November, but I can't wait any longer....I have been waiting for so long!" Man! Killing me! Anyway, I talked to her about it again when I found out the baptism would be Saturday at 5. There was no way my dad would be able to go to both. She cried, then came up to me and said, "Tell Grandpa it's okay. I prayed about it and I can wait." She is so sweet. I told her that being baptized on 12-11-10 is much better than 11-13-10. Easier to remember. The only catch is we might be in a different ward then and need to learn their rules.

John and Cassie when you read this, don't feel bad about the blessing. I am so excited dad will be able to be there with you. I did not want our family to be the reason he missed this occasion. I am so excited for you and will feel so much better when I know your little girl is here safely! We love you!!!!

On a side note.....my house I grew up in was taken off the market today. Weird. I was actually leaning toward that one this morning. Wonder if they'll put it back up, or if they decided not to sell, or if someone put in an offer. At least I got to see it before it was gone.

6 comments:

Oregon Millburns said...

WHAT????!!! NO!!!! That date was NEVER set in stone!!! It was just a date that we threw around!!! Please have her get baptized on that date. It is SOOOO not a big deal to have our little one blessed on the 13th...just a date that was tossed around! PLEASE don't plan around the 13th for us!!! If it's not used then we will use it, but it's SOOO not a big deal to have a different date!

John William said...

Yeah, this is news to me, I didn't even know that this was our blessing date. We told Dad that if he wanted to fly to Ohio then let us know. The blessing date was then going to be worked around a time when he could find a cheap flight. I didn't even know he was coming out for sure. Unless he has already bought the ticket I would suggest not switching days for us since we had no plans for that particular day, just a day when Dad could come out if he comes out at all.

Stephanie said...

She is okay with it now. The thing I was working around was plane tickets for my dad. They are a lot cheaper the weekend of the 13th. I told him to go ahead and buy them, so I hope you are planning on blessing her then. :) I thought about not writing this because I was worried that you would feel bad, but you shouldn't! I wrote about it because I was a little annoyed how we can't have any say on her baptism. I know she is now in Utah, but a baptism is a big deal and I wish it could be a big deal to her here. Now it will be so impersonal. We laughed about waiting until she was 9, then we could do it how we want because it would be a convert baptism....but Jorja wouldn't be okay with that. :)

John William said...

The tickets that weekend are not cheaper now. So unless Dad has already bought the ticket when they were cheap then there is no advantage to have the baby blessing that weekend. I guess the ultimate question is: Has Dad already bought a ticket?

Oregon Millburns said...

I think that is just ridiculous how they make it so impersonal for the kids. Baptism is a big deal to everyone...converts or 8 year olds, so if the 'stake' day doesn't work then you should be able to pick your own day. And she won't be able to pick her own speakers???? Or even know them? Wow, what is this? Sounds like a weird baptism day to me. Sorry Jorja!

Ron Millburn said...

Actually, John is right about it not being cheaper the 2nd week of November. I checked Southwest for the 2nd week in December, and it's just as cheap. Who would have thunk it? I thought the airlines doubled their fares in December. I haven't bought my tickets yet, but am now leaning towards the 2nd week in December, if that's ok with John and Cassie, which I'm sure it is. Now you'll have to talk Jorja into the November baptismal date after all. Should be an easy sell. Sorry such major events have to center around my getting cheap plane tickets. That should be the lowest priority on the list.