Thursday, September 9, 2010

Best Laid Plans

Last year, the day before school started, we found out Maysen needed braces. (That came as no surprise to us) Anyway, I sat at the office for a long time trying to decide what to do. I knew we wanted to move to Utah and would most likely not be finished with her treatment. (She has been having work done continuously since 2nd grade.) Anyway, I decided to go ahead and get the braces. What if we never moved? I kept picturing her as a senior in high school with crooked teeth.....and I would say, "We were going to fix your teeth, but we were going to move...."

The next big decision was how we were going to pay for the braces. Mike had been out of work for almost a year, and we weren't sure how much longer he would be unemployed. In the information they gave me it stated that if you didn't pay your bills for two months then the braces would be taken off. We decided that because we had some savings, we would pay up front. A huge chunk of change! That way, no matter what happened, we wouldn't have to worry about Maysen's braces being repossessed! I talked to the billing department and let her know that most likely we would be moving. She assured me that it was no problem...they had a formula that would refund the unused portion if we left early.

Fast forward to now. Different story. I guess in January, the orthodontist sold his practice. The old orthodontist was paid, but the new one wasn't. The billing department told me that he couldn't refund my money for something he wasn't ever paid for. This is the same billing department. I just looked at her and said, "You told me this would be okay. I let you know we were planning on moving and you assured me that this wouldn't be a problem." She said, "I know, but we had no idea that Dr. Justice would sell his practice." She said she would look into it, but I have no idea what to do. I paid a fortune to them, I don't have the fortune to pay to someone else. Why do I always trust people?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Iam Prabhu from chennai,joined today in this forum... :)

Oregon Millburns said...

First off, who in the heck is Prabhu??!! Haha! Anywho...this situation you are dealing with is just ridiculous! The good people always loose out. You are a good person by paying the full amount upfront and now you won't receive all the benefits from it?!? Sorry you have to deal with this. So annoying.