Monday, August 30, 2010

Figgletrot

I'm on my way to Figgletrot,
I've heard it's west of 'ere.
Just follow the setting sun
Straight on 'til mornin' come.
I'm on my way to Figgletrot,
With nothin' but my cap.
I'm chasin' after the setting sun,
The moon is chasin' me'
The stars can see to Figgletrot,
I heard it long ago,
That you'd better run to Figgletrot
Before the sun sinks low.
It follows me to Figgletrot,
The moon it never goes,
Never strays from path of light
The way the sharp wind blows.
The breeze leads far from Figgletrot,
Promising joy and peace and rest.
But wind I'll ne'r follow,
To the evil Dragon's nest.
I'm almost there to Figgletrot,
Atop the mountain crest,
Where the Lion waits for me,
And I can finally rest.
It was worth the fight to Figgletrot,
Though struggles that I had,
The Dragon n'er shall reach me,
And try to turn me bad.
The Lion rules o'er Figgletrot.
The Dragon is his bane,
But no longer live in fear,
When light shall rule again.
But alas my dear old brother,
The path he did not see,
He followed after wind wisp,
And flames now lick his cheeks.
And though I live in Figgletrot,
With wonders to behold,
Where with Dragon now he lies,
With Lion now I go.
He'll never taste of Figgletrot,
Of glory and of light.
He followed tempting breezes,
And promises of night.
The Lion rules o'er Figgletrot,
The Dragon down below,
Come now you flock of sheep,
And bask in mountain glow.
So follow me to Figgletrot,
With cap and trust and faith,
And ne'r shall you wander
To taste of Dragon flame.
--Maysen Smith

1 comment:

Erica said...

I like it! Is it the longest one you've written, Maysen?