Monday, July 12, 2010

Stockton on the Snake

Rafting day! I love, love, love rafting on the snake river. Luckily, I have an aunt and uncle who introduced us to this, and luckily I have an aunt and uncle who will take us down the river every year. To top it all off, we are staying at their cabin. The cabin I grew up going to was being used.

This year, Stockton got to come! Usually they don't want anyone under 12 coming. Sharon called a week before and said the river was running lower then she anticipated, so Stockton could come. He was very happy about that and decided to take them up on their offer.
Bubs, Stephanie & Stockton, Grandpa
Matt, Brett & Marie (Marie didn't go), Rachel
John, Sharon & Steve
Stephanie & Stockton

Stockton loved it! He got to ride in the front of the raft on his knees. I asked Sharon if I should tell him to crouch down. She said not to worry because instinct would take over. Nope. He hit every wave full force. It was like he was taunting the river, "Is that all you got?" It was great! Brett & Rachel went in the ducky, Rachel fell out at Lunch Counter. They went over the Big Kahuna backwards. We were paddling to Rachel as fast as we could, but Brett got to her first. He held onto her until we could get there. Once there, Steve pulled her into the raft pretty quickly. Steve & Sharon are pretty amazing. I remember falling in at Kahuna last year. I was surprised how I wasn't scared at all. Bubs told me that they were more worried in the raft because Lunch Counter was coming up. I probably made them miss that. Too bad. Anyway, my point is Steve & Sharon make you feel pretty safe . . . even in a raging river.

Stockton only wanted to take one run down the river, so Rachel took him back to the cabin. My dad and Matt also had to leave back to Utah. Steve, Sharon, Bubs, Brett, John and I all went once more. It was so windy, but I was pretty warm. I am now in love with wet suits. Right before the main rapids started, Sharon had me sit where Stockton was the first run. It was AMAZING! We almost tipped at Big Kahuna. Bubs fell on my leg and that hurt! I yanked myself with the rope to the other side. Steve & Sharon said that we would have gone over if I hadn't been in the front. Even with how little I am, the extra weight helped us stay in. I am now giving my extra who knows how many pounds the credit. It was for a good cause.

The entire ride down was just great. We hit so many waves perfectly. I was pretty cold when we finished and discovered why Stockton was good with just one run. While we were docking, I noticed a ladies raft floating away. Bubs, Sharon and I all ran toward it. Her cooler knocked over and everything was in the river. One of us held the raft, one the cooler, and I grabbed everything and threw it inside the cooler. The lady came back while we were doing this and seemed to be a little annoyed that we were huddled around her raft. John informed her that we were saving her bacon...then she was less annoyed.

The rest of the day was spent playing with the kids. Marie is obsessed with Cassie & John (mostly Cassie). She did not like it when I was around. Pretty funny. Rachel cooked the most delicious steak I have had in ages. We finished the night playing games, of course. Too bad Mike had to miss today. He would have loved it!

Brett & Marie
Preston & his pretty flower

2 comments:

Mike said...

Me Mike, or your brother Mike?

Stephanie said...

I was taking about you Mike, but it applies for both