Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Utah - Day 1

Wow! What a day! This might take awhile.

We got to the airport right on time. Made it to our gate without incident. Once there, it was another story. First, they closed the entire airport due to lightening. That put us behind about a half hour. Once that cleared up, they started boarding . . . then stopped. They needed to do maintenance on the engine. Lovely. We waited about an hour before they asked the entire flight to leave gate A18 and begin boarding immediately at gate B33*. We got there as quick as we could, only to wait for another 45 minutes. Finally I decided to take Preston to the bathroom. I told the kids DO NOT GET ON THE PLANE. As I was getting Preston back into his pajamas, someone told me the flight was now boarding. I raced back to the kids and Maysen yelled to me, “Did you see Stockton? He went to find you!” I looked everywhere for him. I ran through the airport holding Preston yelling for Stockton. After awhile I turned around and thought maybe he went to the bathroom. Someone outside the bathroom said, “He’s not here, I went and looked when I saw you calling for him.” Panic now has set in. I turned around and ran again calling his name. Finally I see him way down the hall. He was running to me. He had missed our bathroom and was waiting outside a different bathroom. Finally he decided to give up - thank heavens!
*Gate numbers might or might not be accurate.

Now it is time to board the plane. It is after midnight at this time. We were not suppose to take the red-eye, but that is what we did. I thought I had the seating arrangements perfect. Maysen & Rylee were together. Jorja & I were behind them. Preston & Stockton were behind us (Preston strapped in a car seat). That was not to be. Preston’s seat was pushed forward and taped up. I asked the flight attendant what he wanted me to do. We ended up putting Stockton, Jorja & Preston together and I was in the middle seat behind them. The kids did great and Preston was asleep before the plane took off. I was pretty uncomfortable with that broken seat next to me, but we survived.

Bubs was waiting for us when we got off the plane. Stockton and Bubs raced on the moving walkway. Only Stockton’s walkway was moving the wrong direction. Stockton thought that was so funny. Stockton & I slept in Lincoln’s room. Jorja, Maysen, Preston & Rylee slept in the main downstairs room. I called Mike to let him know I made it. It was 5:00 Georgia time. I was thinking, “Great....this is when the kids usually get up.” Luckily they slept for a few hours.

We started the day by meeting ABIGAIL!!! She’s huge! I can’t believe she is only one month old. Although, as Maysen pointed out, she makes Preston seem really grown up.

After Rylee was picked up, we went and visited Grandma Millburn. We were happily surprised to find my dad there! He had taken Grandma grocery shopping. My dad told me that Phil & Kathy Leatherwood were in a nasty rollover (3 times) accident yesterday. I am so relieved they are okay. Grandma made everyone happy with ice cream. She also showed me a letter my mom wrote her about a month before she died. I copied it down so I can add it to my other letters. We also were able to visit Grandpa’s grave.

Maysen, Stockton, Jorja, Ella, Preston
Jorja, Lincoln, Stockton, Abby, Grandma, Maysen, Ella, PrestonJorja, Stockton, Grandma, Maysen, Preston
Lincoln, Jorja, Preston, Stephanie, Ella, Maysen, Stockton

Bubs, Lincoln & Ella came with us up to Mike’s house. We just relaxed the rest of the day. It was fun hanging out with Bubs and his little ones. We went to dinner at Wendy’s. While we were there, Stockton found out we were staying three days at the dude ranch. He said, “What! We have to sleep there overnight!” Stockton is not a fan of animals. I’m sure he’ll have fun anyway.

Lincoln and Ella were troupers and waited for me to get the kids down before I took them back home. After dropping them off, I went to the airport and picked up MIKE! Yea! And now I am ready for bed.

No comments: