Thursday, June 3, 2010

Stockton's Surgery

Okay, so it was a minor surgery. On his gums. He had a gum graft. Maysen had to have this done when she was in 4th grade also. I have been sick to my stomach about this. Especially when I got the prescriptions/notes from the doctor in advance of the procedure. I could barely even think about it. I just remember thinking it was no big deal for Maysen, then watching this poor little girl in a lot of pain. I wasn't looking forward to watching Stockton go through this experience.

Stockton did great during the surgery. Dr. Tomaselli said he was wonderful and laughing through most of the procedure. The rest of the day we spent putting ice packs on for 20 minutes, then off for 20 minutes. Stockton took his first medicine (Tylenol with codeine) and then refused to have any more pain killers. He said he would rather tough it out then take the medicine. I begged and begged him to take it, especially when I would hear him whimpering . . . but he would not give in.

I gave Stockton pudding, popsicles and a chocolate milkshake, all things on the easy to eat list. Without thinking I gave him a piece of cookie dough. Big mistake. When he was eating the dough, it knocked off the bandage at the top of him mouth. He sat at the sink and spit up blood for about 15 minutes. I finally got a tea bag and held it on the roof of his mouth. That seemed to help, but it sure smelled bad (and probably tasted horrible).

Stockton is now asleep. I hope he has a better day tomorrow. We put an extra bed in Jorja's room for Preston. We thought he might like to sleep there during the summer. He is calling for me right now. I hate naps!

No comments: