Saturday, May 29, 2010

Stockton's Talk

Stockton gave a talk in primary last week. I missed it because I was in Virginia. I was disappointed. I love hearing Stockton speak, he is a natural. He wrote his talk himself. I showed him how to use the Topical Guide and Bible Dictionary. I asked him to put some scriptures in. The rest he did completely on his own. Mike said he did a really good job, I don't doubt that for a second. Here is the talk he wrote.

I was asked to give a talk on how principles and ordinances of the gospel lead me to Jesus Christ. The 4th Article of Faith clearly states that. It starts off saying:

We believe that the first principles and ordinances of the gospel are, first, Faith in the Lord, Jesus Christ.

In Alma 32:21, it says:

Faith is to hope for things which are not seen, but which are true.

Even thought we can't see Jesus in person right now, we still know he's true. That's faith.

The second principle is repentance. In the bible dictionary, it says:

Repentance is not optional for salvation; it is a commandment of God.

One ordinance of the gospel is baptism by immersion for the remission of sins. John chapter 3 says baptism is not optional if one wishes the fullness of salvation. Jesus said a person must be born of water and of the spirit.

Another ordinance is laying on of hands for the gift of the Holy Ghost. The bible dictionary says:

The Holy Ghost knows all things.

It's as simple as that, but it also says that it can also lead one to know future events.

This is how principles and ordinances lead me to Jesus Christ. I know this church is true, and I say these things in the name of Jesus Christ, Amen.

In other news, Bubs and Ange had a baby today! A little girl named Abigail. We can't wait to meet her!

No comments: