Sunday, May 16, 2010

Sacrament

I gave a talk in church today. I was really nervous about it. It was the first time I had ever been the concluding speaker, so I wasn't sure if I would have a lot of time, or a little. I was assigned to talk about the sacrament. I actually asked the bishop if I could give a talk. I wanted to give a talk so I could pass off one of my personal progress values. When I was given my topic, I wondered what I was thinking.

I have been able to spend the last two weeks reading everything I could about the sacrament, the last supper and the atonement. I have also been working on memorizing the sacrament prayers, but I don't have that one all the way finished yet.

This talk was a great blessing to me. I learned many ways I can make the sacrament more effective in my life. I also learned how important the sacrament ordinance is. I always knew it was important, but I didn't realize what an effective tool the sacrament could be. The sacrament seemed like the modern day brazen serpent. Because of the simpleness of the ordinance, we don't fully appreciate the blessings associated with it. I don't think I will ever be casual while the sacrament is being passed again. I might not always be able to focus as much as I want (usually I'm focused on keeping Preston quiet), but I know I will be more aware of the purpose and marvelous blessings the sacrament brings. I realized that if I take the sacrament worthily each week, I will be able to stand before the judgement bar of God and not be ashamed. That is miraculous.

No comments: