Friday, April 23, 2010

We're Off Like a Dirty Shirt

That is what my mom use to say every time we started a trip to Idaho Falls . . . or any long adventure. We are at Myrtle Beach right now. This morning was crazy. We started off by taking the cars to get the emission test done. When we got to the place we have taken the cars every year, it was gone! Mike said, “They must have moved it next to TGIFridays”. We found a new place, and got an oil change and car wash as well. I took Preston home and wanted to make some bread for the trip. I was disappointed to find out we were all out of wheat flour. We had finished our 35 lbs. bucket. I knew we had another one downstairs, so I dragged it up. It took forever because I am a wimp. I was also a wimp when I tried to get the lid off, but after tugging, pulling, and praying I was able to get it off. As soon as I got the bread in the oven, it dawned on me that I was suppose to go to Jorja’s class to give them a math test. Yikes! I couldn’t believe I forgot. When Mike got home, I ran to the school. Mrs. Latham had already given them the tests, so I just graded them and got everything ready for next week. I was worried Jorja wouldn’t pass because I hadn’t worked with her and she was on minus 8's. I had nothing to worry about because she got 100%. Clay is funny because he is one test behind Jorja. He came up and asked me if he passed. I told him he did. Next question: Did Jorja pass? When I said yes he answered, “No! She needs to fail! Then we can all finish together and that would be amazing!” Just a little competitive.

Anyway, back to the trip. We checked the kids out of school, but weren’t able to get on the road until about 2. It is about a 6 ½ hour drive. We got here at 9:00. The kids did great, and no one slept the entire way. I couldn’t believe it. Not even Preston.

We are staying at the Tropical Seas hotel. I was worried because after I booked the trip, I read a lot of reviews that weren’t very good. Mike said not to worry because we aren’t as picky as most people. I booked two rooms, they said they didn’t have any adjoining rooms, but they would get them next to each other. When we walked into the first room, we noticed a door at the back. Low and behold - adjoining room! We were so excited.

The hotel is pretty old, but when you look out at the balcony, we are looking at the ocean. It’s awesome. Maysen said, “People who don’t like this hotel are crazy!” (There is also a small pizza/ice cream shop on our floor.) When we were sure the kids were asleep, Mike and I went and took a walk on the beach. The kids are going to have so much fun tomorrow. To top everything off, the Jazz game is on TV! Here’s hoping they win!

1 comment:

Stockton said...

For me, it's no surprise nobody slept.