Monday, March 15, 2010

Integrity #3

I just finished reading a bunch of scriptures about people who lived their life with integrity. It has been years since I have studied the old testament, so I enjoyed learning about these amazing people. I loved the story was of Shadrach, Meshach and Abed-nego. I remember hearing this story when I was younger, but I don't remember reading it for myself. I absolutely loved it. King Nebuchadnezzar was crazy. First he gets so upset that these guys won't worship his golden image he made. He's so mad that the regular furnace isn't good enough, he has to heat it to seven times hotter then 'it was wont to be heated'. Then when he sees Shadrach, Meshach and Abed-nego walking around with someone else - in the fire - he decides that it is okay for them to worship their God . . . and anyone who says anything bad about them will be cut in pieces and their houses made into a dunghill. Crazy, crazy, crazy.

I also read about Joseph of Egypt, Ester, Job, Daniel, and Paul. My favorite off all the amazing individuals I read about was Joseph Smith. I will never tire of reading Joseph Smith History. I love the quote "For I had seen a vision; I knew it, and I knew that God knew it, and I could not deny it, neither dared I do it; at least I knew that by so doing I would offend God, and come under condemnation." I love how Joseph was willing to be 'hated and persecuted'. The most amazing thing is, he was still a child. The persecution started almost immediately - fourteen years old. Yet, he was not swayed by the world and what others thought of him, he only cared what Heavenly Father thought of him. To have that strong determination at such a young age is just amazing.

I am also suppose to write about a time when I had the courage to show integrity, especially when it wasn't easy or popular. I honestly can't remember a time I had to do that. I think that is because of two reasons. One, I have always been surrounded by great friends that haven't put me in uncomfortable situations. Two, I am completely oblivious to what is going around me most of the time. The first is great, the second I should work on. The closest I can come to is in college at Utah State, I lived with several girls that did not have my same values. But although I didn't drink, they never made me feel uncomfortable about it. I loved those girls, we just led completely separate lives.

All right Maysen, I think I rambled enough for you to sign me off on this value experience. I'll be bringing you my book soon.

No comments: