Friday, February 5, 2010

Kindergarten

I finished substituting Mrs. Woods Kindergarten class this week. It was nice to wake up and know what I was going to be doing with my day. It was also nice that I was able to get to know the students. It is so much easier to teach when you know the children's names.

Preston had fun with Mike putting on door knobs in the basement. I'll get to spend all next week with him. Mike will be taking a Red Hat class. I'm looking forward to being with Preston. The only thing I'm not looking forward to is the carpool line. Preston will for sure fall asleep when we go to pick up the kids. I usually spend two hours in the car, waiting for them. I try to be one of the first in line. Stockton needs me to be at the beginning of the line. One of the teachers that monitors the carpool line stresses him out. She always gets upset with him, and it feels like he can do no right. One day this week I noticed them talking. I hurried up to them, she looked at me and said, "mean, mean, mean". The problem was he was trying to get to Reading Bowl practice. He was trying to get into the teacher's work room, where they had been practicing for quite awhile. The door was locked, but he could see the buzzers set up. When Mrs. Appleby asked him what he was doing, he told her. She told him that there wasn't any Reading Bowl practice that day, which wasn't the case. She is quite scary for a little kid, and Stockton was in tears by the time I got to him. Stockton stayed up until 9:30 that night with his eyes wide open. He couldn't sleep and kept saying, "I don't want to go to school tomorrow." I asked him why and he would say, "Mrs. Appleby is so mean."

Anyway, long story short...I spend two hours in the car to pick up the kids. I leave at 2:00 for Stockton and Jorja. They get out at 2:45. I then drive down to get Maysen. I get in line at 3:00 and she gets out at 3:40. I am home by 4. I don't mind it though. I get to read. Next week, with Preston, he is going to fall asleep. Then our nights are going to be miserable - and Mike will need to be in north Atlanta every day. Oh boy.

1 comment:

Mike said...

I'm with you Stockton. She scares me too!