Thursday, January 7, 2010

He Got Mailed!

Preston received a package from Grandma and Grandpa Parry today. Inside was his beloved dog, Shiver, and his green blanket. We had left those in Idaho when we were there. Preston opened the box and screamed with delight, "Shiver! You got mailed!" Then he carried around Shiver and said, "I missed you so much!" and "Shiver missed me so bad." It was very, very cute.

Maysen received her schedule for the next nine weeks yesterday. She got pe AGAIN! I called the school and asked who I needed to talk to about a schedule change. They wanted to know what the problem was and I told them I needed my daughter out of pe. I was told that wouldn't happen because all 6th graders needed to have an entire year of pe unless they were in band or chorus. I asked about foreign languages and why some six graders get in them. They told me that only certain 6th graders that score high enough on some test are allowed to take a foreign language. (I about lost it there because I knew that was a load of crap . . . if they chose the students based on test scores you could bet Maysen would be in there). Anyway, I asked what was the test this decision was based on. I was put on hold. Then they came back and told me there was no test and it is randomly decided who gets the foreign language. I asked that Maysen be moved to a foreign language class and they said I would need to talk to Mrs. Benson tomorrow afternoon.

So, I went to the school today to talk to Mrs. Benson. I found her and the principal was right at her desk. They will not let Maysen out of pe without a doctors note. The principal said, "If I let her out then I would have to let everyone out who has a problem." I said, "What you don't understand is she can barely handle pe. She has a brilliant mind, she has straight A's and she never has any homework. She needs a language." I was told Mr. Sims decides who gets what connection classes (He's the BAND teacher for crying out loud) . . . and I was told it is only for 9 weeks. I said, "This is her third nine weeks of pe."

Anyway, I went straight to my doctors and left her a note asking if she could help me out. They never said anything had to be wrong with her, they just said they needed a doctors note. I hope she can help me out, but I don't know if she will.

I asked Maysen if I can't get her moved out if pe, would she like me to homeschool her? She said she would. I told her that means she wouldn't get to do the Reading Bowl. She is going to think about it. Hopefully it won't come to that.

In other news, it SNOWED today! Stockton and Maysen were both annoyed (with people's reactions, not the snow). Stockton said, "The thing I hate about living here is when it snows a few flakes, people run around like crazy screaming, 'It's snowing! It's snowing!'" They did have fun pelting me with snowballs while I was talking on the phone. I wonder if they will have school tomorrow......

1 comment:

brett said...

Steph, what do you know? You are just the parent. I'm sure the school system really knows what is best for Maysen.