Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Standoff

Today I went to pick the kids up from school. Just like every other day. As I turned off the main street, I noticed three police men running by the trees with their guns drawn. Holy cow! What was going on? I turned onto our street only to be met by several police cars. One policeman came and asked where I lived. I told him the end of the street. He said I could go through, just make sure to lock the door and not to come outside for awhile. (We have a cul-de-sac that branches off our street. The problem was there). Anyway, I dropped off Stockton and Jorja with Mike, then made my way back through the barracade to get Maysen. By the time I got back with her (about an hour later), only one police car remained. A news van had now set up camp.

I watched the news to find out what had happened. It's weird seeing houses that you pass everyday on the news, and hearing your neighborhood called an "upscale suburban neighborhood". Anyway, a father came home to find his daughter moving out of the house with her boyfriend. They had a moving van and everything. The dad got mad, got his gun and . . . luckily no one was hurt and the standoff ended peacefully.

In other news, I have my first day substitute teaching tomorrow. I'm excited and nervous. I'll teach in Mrs. Fowler's 5th grade classroom. Then I get to teach Ms. Jefferies 4th grade class on Friday. Hopefully I don't embarass myself!

No comments: