Thursday, October 1, 2009

Now You Know How I Feel!

Stockton's teacher was telling me a story today. Classic Stockton. The intern was in the front of the class working on a difficult math problem with the kids. I'm assuming she asked someone a question that they didn't know the answer to. Mrs. Catlin said that there was just silence. The uncomfortable silence. The awkward, uncomfortable silence. Mrs. Catlin says she really tries to stay quiet and let the intern have control, but it was just driving her crazy. Mrs. Catlin looked up and she sees Stockton glaring at her with the most tortured look on his face. That cracked Mrs. Catlin up and she started laughing, which made Stockton laugh. He buried his head in his hands. Mrs. Catlin thought, "I'm going to get him in trouble." So, she got up and helped the intern out. Soon afterward, they split up into their reading groups. Stockton's group was working with Mrs. Catlin. As Stockton sat down, he said, "Now you know how I feel". I love that kid!

Mrs. Catlin was also commenting to me on the differences between Maysen and Stockton. When she read The Indian in the Cupboard with Maysen, she asked her, "What would you do if someone gave you an Indian, you put him in a cupboard and the next day you found out he was alive?" Maysen replied, "I would put a dragon in there and see if it would come alive", and other such answers. Stockton said, "I don't think I would even notice". I believe he is right.

2 comments:

Maysen said...

She didn't read that book to me! I didn't have a choice! I had to read Sign of the Beaver

Stephanie said...

Well, she must have had a class discussion with you about it then...