Thursday, October 29, 2009

My Loving Angels

Maysen has started working on her Personal Progress for YW. She chose to: “Make your home life better. For two weeks make a special effort to strengthen your relationship with a family member by showing love through your actions. Refrain from criticizing or speaking unkindly, and watch for positive qualities in that person. Write notes of encouragement, ……… etc.” I told Maysen I thought that was a good one to start with, and I thought the family member needed to be Jorja.

So, a few days ago, Maysen left Jorja a note on her bed. She signed it “Your Loving Angel”. Pure innocent Jorja finds the note and shows it to me. She has an expression of complete amazement. Only then did I realize that Jorja would think there was literally an angel leaving her notes. Jorja writes back and asks what her name is, how old is she, what does she look like. Maysen wrote and said that she couldn’t tell her her real name, but Jorja could call her Pippa. Meanwhile, Mike and I are trying to convince Maysen to let Jorja know that she is not literally an angel. This is the note that Maysen left for Jorja this morning: Dear Jorja, I am not a real angel, but I am your good friend. I know you will be nice to your brothers and sister because I can’t write to you if you annoy them. Love, Your Loving Angel.

Yes Maysen, I’m sure you have mastered the spirit of the challenge. Next Family Home Evening lesson should be on how you shouldn’t use acts of charity to get what you want. I love my children! They always surprise me in unexpected ways.

Maysen finished her two weeks today. She left Jorja her last note. At the end she said, "I will always be Your Loving Angel. -Maysen" Jorja was so surprised. We talked about how much her sister loves her. I also asked Jorja if she recognized Maysen's handwriting. Jorja said no, but she thought it looked like Robyn Sparkles (the tooth fairy) handwriting. Jorja ran down to Maysen and thanked her for the notes. They gave each other the sweetest hug. I sure do have two beautiful and loving angels.

No comments: