Sunday, October 11, 2009

Faith

Maysen had to give a talk in Sacrament Meeting today. Her topic was Faith. She wrote the entire thing herself. This is her talk:

Hello everyone. I'm Maysen Smith and I just turned twelve. I was asked to give a talk today about Faith. We all know what Faith is, believing in something you can't see.

I was reading Portuguese scriptures with my dad the other day, and I asked him about the brother of Jared. I remembered the boats that were shaped like watermelons, and how he got the stones lit by having faith in God. What I asked was, "What was Jared doing in all of this?" He replied, "He was trying to convince his brother to go pray and figure out the lights somewhere else."

Many people have faith in the scriptures. Nephi and Lehi had faith. Laman and Lemuel did not. Joesph and Hiram Smith had faith. They were killed because of it. But they never denied God. The Savior promised, "if ye will have faith in me ye shall have power to do whatsoever thing is expedient in me." Moroni 7:33.

Faith is a gift from God, but we must care for it. If exercised, it grows strong. If left alone, it becomes weak. One way to exercise our faith is by prayer. Another is fasting. Another, keeping the commandments. And reading the scriptures.

My family is almost finished with reading the New Testament in the bible from Matthew to Revelation. We will finish next week if we read a chapter each school day. Then we will once again start the Book of Mormon, this time with my sister, so we can finish it before she turns eight.

Baptism is important to be able to return to God. In some churches, babies are baptized quickly, because apparently "because they are descendants of Adam and have come into the world with sin." We do not believe that, though. According to the second article of faith, "We believe that men will be punished for their own sins and not for Adam's transgression."

My favorite prophet is Abinidi. He had faith, even as he was burning in the fire. He was able to convince one of the kings advisers, Alma, about the church. Alma had faith that Abinidi's words were true. He ran away to a grove and started preaching about the church. He was able to convince and baptize many people.

Having faith in Jesus Christ means relying completely on Him; trusting his infinite power, intelligence and love. We must express our faith through our actions. Jeffery R. Holland spoke of Tithing Years once, specifically the decade from 12 years to 22. I have entered that decade.

This past week, I've been practicing, doing my best to show kindness and not speak harsh words. To help others and put their feelings first, and not my own. I am sure that's what Jesus would do.

I hope that when I die one day, I can be in the celestial kingdom. I will be able to see my grandmothers, and all other family members. I will see Heavenly Father and Jesus. I have faith that I will. I know They love us. We love Them. In the name of Jesus Christ, Amen.

Maysen did such a good job. She surprised the daylights out of Mike and I when she decided to quote Moroni 7:33 in Portuguese. We weren't expecting that at all! I'm proud of you Maysen. It is such a joy to watch you grow!

2 comments:

Brett - Rachel B said...

Great talk!

Ron Millburn said...

Mayson,
Will you write my talks from now on? Please!
Thanks,
Grandpa Millburn
P.S. Happy Birthday. You're now an even dozen.