Sunday, September 27, 2009

Tithing Years

Last November, Elder Jeffrey R. Holland came and spoke to our stake. It was a wonderful experience to hear him speak in person. He talked about President Gordon B. Hinckley and how he worked hard until the end of his life. President Hinckley died when he was 97 - for the sake of easy math . . . 100. Elder Holland said that he wanted to ask a tithing of our life. He wanted us to spend 10 years focused on Christ. 10 years where every decision we make, we choose to make the same decision the Savior would. "But I want to tell you the years I want. I want you to give the Lord the years from 12-22."

I have always remembered this talk. I wish that talk was transcribed and I could find it somewhere. I would love to read it. Anyway, the point of this is . . . Maysen just finished her LAST Sunday in Primary. She will be turning 12 soon. So, for Family Home Evening tonight, we talked about Elder Holland's talk. We talked about her tithing years and discussed why these years are so important. We also set some goals for the future. It scares me thinking of Maysen growing up. I know she will make wise decisions, but I want to keep her as my little girl.

2 comments:

The Bubs said...

Strictly speaking that would be 11 years. I wish I could read the talk. If you find it, let me know

brett said...

No, it's only 10 years. As soon as you hit 22 you get to stop. Which is fitting because now you are home from your mission and can do whatever you want.