Saturday, September 26, 2009

The Rains Came Down and the Floods Came Up

Warning!!!! This entry has a ton of pictures!!!
Mike got up early this morning to do some flood cleanup. He even got a cool yellow shirt for his efforts.
Mike

I have been looking forward to my Stake Primary Leadership Meeting for a couple of weeks. I love going to them. I learn a lot, get re-excited, and I get to spend the 45 minute drive to the Stake Center with Amy Caro! It has been raining off and on all day long, but right as I was about to leave, it started pouring buckets! I kept chanting to myself, "I will not drive through standing water, I will not drive through standing water...." and Mike really did not want me to go. And we have another flood advisory... So, Amy and I missed the meeting. Although soon after we got a call that the meeting after ours (Salad With the Sisters) had been cancelled - maybe ours was as well.
Weather right before my meeting
Stephanie & Preston
Here are some pictures of the flood damage. I swiped these from facebook. I thought they were really interesting. . .
Post Road
Paintball fields at I-20
Six Flags
Batman & Mindbender (& parking lot)
Off Thornton Road ~ Those bright colors are cars
Austell (the city where Jorja was born)
Mobley Creek
Post Road
Kings Highway
Banks Mill
This is why most of our ward had to go so long without water
Wow! What a week we have had. When you watch the news and hear Douglas County. That is us. Mike got a call a couple of hours ago. Anyone who can is suppose to get in their work clothes, skip church and help the cleanup tomorrow. Mike will be there about 7:30 in the morning. He will have to come home and stay with Preston (who is not feeling good enough for nursery) so I can take the older three to church. That will give Mike a little while to rest up before he needs to head out again. He is so sore right now. Thursday he spent several hours unloading water. Man is he feeling it today!

Jorja asked me today, "What would happen if there was a tornado so we had to be in the basement, but a flood so we couldn't be there?" I hope I never discover the answer to that question!

No comments: