Tuesday, April 28, 2009

The Day Thomas Lost Two Wheels

I went to a Gifted meeting yesterday. I was hoping someone from Maysen's new middle school would be there. I'm trying to understand in my mind how the gifted program will work. Anyway, while I was there, I saw a display of the winners from the Young Authors Awards. This always bugs me. Maysen wrote an incredible story when she was in first grade. Her teacher submitted her story, only to have someone else win. I was fine with that. If someone wrote a better story, fair is fair. Anyway, come to find out, they didn't believe Maysen wrote the story! They said she saw it on TV and wrote about it. It still infuriates me. This is her talent. Don't throw her story out without looking at any of her other work. I remember her writing this story. She was at Grandma Honey's house playing with trains, she came upstairs and asked for paper. She sat herself down in the big fancy office and started writing. Mike even filmed her because she looked so cute sitting in that big desk. Maysen did win the contest the next year, but this has been one of my favorite stories she as ever written. Here it is:

The Day Thomas Lost Two Wheels

One sunny, spring day, Thomas woke up and tried to move. He couldn't go at all. So he looked down. "Oh no!" he cried. "I lost my two front wheels!" James came rolling as fast and as quickly as his six wheels could carry him. "What's going on?" he asked. Thomas said with lots of expression, "I lost my two front wheels. Can you help me get to the repair shop?" "Sure," said James. "We engines should help each other whatever the weather." So James helped him get to the repair shop, however the repair shop was all out of wheels. Suddenly James had an idea. James asked the repairman to take off two of his red wheels to replace Thomas' blue wheels. James went up, up, up and the workers removed his two front wheels. Thomas thanked James for what he had done for him. Thomas and James now had four wheels. Thomas called his red front wheels his lucky wheels and Thomas never lost any wheels again.

No comments: