Monday, March 2, 2009

Happy Birthday Grandma!

Today is my Grandma Parry's 86th birthday. Several of my relatives who live in Idaho got together at her house for lunch. I wish I could have been there with them. My grandma is the most amazing person on this earth. She will never fully understand how much she means to me. I remember when I was little, loving Idaho. I loved to go to her house. When you entered, you just felt joy and love. That is how I think of Idaho. Joy and love.

I remember when my mom was sick, grandma took such good care of her. Grandma and Grandpa stayed the week with us, then would drive home Saturday night to teach their primary class. Talk about dedication! Because Grandma and Grandpa were with us, my dad was able to stay at the hospital with my mom. I loved having both of them with us, but not for the reason they were there. I remember when my mom died. I was sitting by her bed with my dad listening to her breathe. All of a sudden, my mom opened her eyes - but she wasn't looking at anything. Dad told me to go get Grandma and Grandpa. I ran downstairs and got Grandma. She was doing our laundry. (Later I found out that Grandma feels really bad about that--which is crazy. She did so much for our mom and all of us . . . we can never repay her.) All four of us were with my mom when she died a few minutes later. I remember my dad leaning over the bed and timidly asking, "Are you gone Harriett?" My Grandma started crying and said, "Yes she is, she's really gone." Breaks my heart just thinking about it.

Sorry I was writing so much about my mom on my grandma's post. But I don't think about the one without thinking about the other. My Grandma loves me just like my mom did. I don't know what I would do without her. I love her so much.

This is one of my very favorite pictures. Grandma's holding Maysen and Stockton at the cabin. Look how much they love her.
Grandma & Jorja. Grandma knows how to make each of her grandchildren & great-grandchildren feel special. (I'm sure Jacoby loves his great-great grandma too!)
Grandma & Preston
I hope you had a wonderful birthday Grandma! We love you and wish we could see you more often. Thank you for all you do for us. You have been my biggest cheerleader and you are the most completely selfless person I have ever met. I love you!

1 comment:

Christen said...

Awww, we love Grandma Parry, too and wish we could have been to her birthday lunch. Happy Birthday, Grandma!!

I teared up reading about being with your mom in her final moments. Just so sad...